Sunday, February 15, 2015

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has before  written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My Job

My first job that put me on a payroll was working for the Public LIbrary in our City.Before that I did some babysitting. I was paid 60 cents an hour and worked 4 hours on Saturday mornings. My job included binding the magazines and carding them. I also read the Dewy decimal section on History and Geography.

This was my dream job as I loved reading and would come home with the new books before they were circulated. I bought flowers and pastry with my first pay cheque. After 2 years I transferred to the Children’s Library where I helped with the preschool program. I learned about reading to young children as well as making puppet shows. I was the first part time librarian to ever pay income tax.

I would love to have become a librarian however at the time I would have had to stay in school for another 4 or 5 years. Instead I went to Teacher’s College and became a teacher.

I love books and reading to my grandchildren. Libraries have a very special place in my heart and when i am on a cruise ship I make it a point to use the library.

Next Week’s Prompt: Other Jobs I’ve had

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.