Sunday, December 14, 2014

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My Husband

I would not trade my husband for anyone else in the world. He is really too good for me and I love him to pieces.

My husband is the eldest child of 3 boys born to German parents. His father fled Hitler before the Second World War and came to Canada as a homesteader. He started his new life in a small community called Tom’s Lake in Alberta. When Canada declared war on Germany he joined the Canadian Army and was sent back to Germany during the Occupation. While there he met his future bride who fled the Russians invading what is now East Germany. It took a year for his bride to arrive in Canada.

Unfortunately my husband never learned German because his parents wanted to speak English. He grew up down the street from our house and we went to the same schools. He became very active in Scouting and met my father and brother.  My mother knew his mother as well. When I needed help with math in high school he became my tutor. We dated for a while however I wanted to meet other people and let him get away. (I was young and foolish).

Luckily we came together a year later through a Scouting event.  I knew in an instant that we were truly meant for each other. My husband has made a lot of sacrifices to ensure my happiness. He took a job with my father in the family business to provide us with a comfortable life.  I worked nights and he worked days so we didn’t need a babysitter. Eventually he prepared all of the meals and a lot of the work around the house.

We didn’t have a honeymoon so for our 25th wedding anniversary we went on our first cruise to Alaska and  now  we have nearly 200  days under our belt. Today we spend our retirement days together dancing and staying healthy. We hope to have many more years together.

IMG_6229

 

 

Next Week’s Prompt: My Children

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.