Sunday, October 26, 2014

MEMORY MONDAY

 

My mother has written her memoirs and has been after me to write mine. I have been resisting for a while however I am creating Memory Monday to help me along. Come join me with your own memories. Each week will be a different prompt to encourage the writing of your memories. Link your memories and share them with everyone.

Our prompt is: My First Date

My first date was with the man who would become my husband. I was just 16 years of age. DH was my math tutor. My mother hired him to help me with my Grade 11 Trigonometry. I was failing it. DH knew my parents through Scouting. He lived down the street. When I passed my math he invited me to go to the movies.

The show he picked was downtown and was considered a restricted movie. Sorry I don’t remember the name. I know I was anxious because I was under age and was afraid of being asked for ID. When we got to the theatre there was an incredible line up so we got back on the subway and headed for another movie house.

The second movie house was called “The Palace”. We got in and actually saw a double feature. The first movie was “Cool Hand Luke” starring Paul Newman and the second one was “Family Way” with Hayley Mills. I began my life long admiration for Paul Newman and we still remember a lot of the words from the movie including “I’m shaking it boss”.

We walked home from the theatre and we talked all the way home. Unfortunately we didn’t have many dates because I thought he wasn’t Mr. Right. Of course that changed 2 years later when we met again. The second time around our date was also the movies where we saw `Shoes of the Fisherman` with Anthony Quinn.

DH knew my parents before he knew me.

Next Week’s Prompt: My First Friend

My daughter made us a Memory Monday button that you can grab from my sidebar if you want.

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

Please link up your posts to this continuing linky so we can watch each other’s memoirs develop over this year.  Please use the format of “PROMPT – BLOG NAME” so we can follow each week’s writing.