Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WORDLESS WEDNESDAY & HODGEPODGE

 

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English.  Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen).  Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-

selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

Most of these words were never in my vocabulary so it doesn’t matter to me. I don’t use twitter or facebook and we have Canadian healthcare.

2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?

I finished all of my projects for last year. I have even started on this year’s sweaters for the grandchildren.


3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?

I had soup a couple of days ago. It was homemade beef soup which my husband calls “clean out the fridge” soup.


4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.

Snowed in! Actually it is more like frozen in. We have been under an extreme weather alert for 4 days. The windchill is close to –50 degrees C.


5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?

The funniest movie I have seen is “Grumpy Old Men”. I love Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau.
6.  In general, would you say you're clumsy?

No although as I get older I ma more cautious.


7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935.  Are you an Elvis fan?  What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least?  Click here for a list of his songs.

Absolutely! I love all of his songs although “can’t help falling in love” is at the top.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Mother nature has certainly kept me indoors for the last few days. I miss my walks and it was even too cold to go to swim fitness. The good news is that I have done more blogging. I have tried to visit everyone’s blogs.

IMG_0020IMG_0021

DH took these pictures the other night during the extreme cold. This is the tree in our neighbour’s yard with the streetlight shining through it.

All we can do right now is stay warm and look forward to a warmer weekend.