Tuesday, September 25, 2012

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

 

Here are the questions for this week's Hodgepodge:

1. The Wednesday Hodgepodge this week falls on John Chapman's birth date.  He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favourite variety of apple?

My favourite apple is the macintosh.  It is good to eat raw as well as it is a good cooking apple.  I am not fond of Granny Smith apples.


2.   When did you last say 'ick'?

I said “ick” on Sunday when I changed the dirty diaper of my youngest granddaughter.


3.   Do you think there's a generation gap?  Explain.

I am not sure I would call it a “generation gap” so much as the need to keep up with technology.  The older we get the further behind we become.  My grandmother didn’t get electricity until after I was born.  The telephone was a party line and the car was only used for a trip to town for groceries which were items not grown on the farm. Today the kids have cell phones, computers etc.


4.  What's on your computer screen saver?  Do you leave it alone or change it often?

Our screen saver is a picture of a rock island which a little like the lake our cottage used to be on. I don’t change it at all.


5.  If you had the attention of the entire world for two minutes, what would you say?

Why are you fighting? It is time to get along with everyone.

6.  Four fashion trends to try this fall are-brocade/jacquard (fancy printed fabrics), peplum, lace, and printed pants...which of these four would you be most likely to wear?

Probably none.  I am not a fashionista and since I retired my existing closet is good enough.

7.  What can make your bad day better?

A kiss, a hug and a cup of tea.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I brought the subject of “generation gap” up to several friends this afternoon and I have everyone pondering the gap.  It was a lively discussion.

16 comments:

  1. I agree with #6. Thankfully I retired from a job with a very liberal dress code so my closet isn't full of clothes that I will never wear anywhere. I refuse to be a slave to fashion where my clothes are only "suitable" for one season because they will be out of style by the next season. I'd rather spend my limited retirement income on traveling or fabric for quilts or spoiling my grands rotten! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely on the same page. My budget is all about travelling as well.

      Delete
  2. I love Mac apples too and you are right-- they are wonderful as is or in recipes!

    I have to say- my kids are often shocked to hear that I did not have a computer or cell phone as a teen. Heck I didn't have either of those things until after I was married. It is interesting how computers, the internet, cell phones, etc have taken over all our lives and how many people cannot imagine living without them.....

    I am returning the lovely favor- you stopped by my blog last week and left me such a wonderful comment that I had to do the same- I hope!

    Kerry from www.countrylivingonahill.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology can bring us closer together. my 83 year old mother loves "Skype". She is also a blog reader so she knows what her family is doing. No gap here.

      Delete
  3. Good answer on the generation gap. Good answer on #7 too except mine would be a kiss, a hug and a diet Coke. haha

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be careful of the articial sweetened in diet coke. My friend had a kidney stone and the doctor said the diet coke was the cause.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fasionista either, I usually dress business casual leaning more to the casual side unless we are in court or have a client coming in. I work for my hubby so the dress code is very lenient. Plus I want to be able to wear them for a while.
    I too brought up the generation gap to others, it is a fun topic. Especially reliving our youth and talking about how we have adjusted to the technology advances and how our kids have to help us with using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 83 year old mother has a computer and hubby keeps her up to date. She loves "Skype". It saves her long distance charges.

      Delete
  5. I say ick every time I change a dirty diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by to visit me...
    I wish I could be satisfied with whats in my closet....some of it does need to be replaced because of wear but I also like something new once in a while.
    I'm trying to keep up with technology but I'm afraid I am falling behind.
    Blessings,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  7. My computer screen is just plain blue. I have no imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was satisfied with what's in my closet until I decided to take this teaching position. Now I have to buy a few things. And I HATE shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say Eww often! Great answer on the generation gap. Sending you a ((HUGS)) to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have thew same attitude about fashion. I use a walker or wheelchair; I don't have to be stylish, right? But I am hoping to get back into the working world. Maybe the chair can hide the widening effects of a peplum? hehe...

    I totally agree with your #5; maybe if we lock up all the "leaders" of all the groups, we'd find we aren't really all so different and can get along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only reason that I can participate in any of the fashion trends is that I still have them in my closet from the last time they were in style. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. A kiss will always do it for me, too!

    ReplyDelete