Thursday, March 15, 2012

THRIVING THURSDAY

 

I was out walking with my Grandson. He picked up something off of the ground and started to put it in his mouth.

I took the item away from him and I asked him not to do that.

"Why" my Grandson asked.

"Because it's been on the ground; you don't know where it's been, it's dirty, and probably has germs," I replied.

At this point, my Grandson looked at me with total admiration and asked, "Grandma, how do you know all this stuff?? You are so smart."

I was thinking quickly and said to him, "all Grandmas know stuff. It's on the Grandma Test. You have to know it, or they don't let you be a Grandma."

We walked along in silence for 2 or 3 minutes, but he was evidently pondering this new information.

"Oh....I get it"! he beamed, "so if you don't pass the test, you have to be the Grandpa". 'Exactly,' I replied with a big smile on my face.

This joke was sent to me by my mother.  One of the best parts of being retired is having the opportunity to spend time with our grandchildren.  Not bragging much, we have 5 awesome grandchildren.

Our oldest granddaughter R is turning 14.  She is also graduating from grade 8.  We will have the privilege of witnessing this milestone in May. Her brother L is 5 and is an expert at “Angry Birds”. Her youngest brother E is leaving the baby stage and wants so badly to grow up.  He no longer wants to sleep in his crib or eat in his high chair.  He can’t learn new things fast enough.

Our other grandchildren are closer to home.  E has just turned 4.  She celebrated her birthday last weekend.  Her best gifts were a scooter from her parents and pizza playdoh from her Aunt C and Uncle P.  Our youngest granddaughter F has a milestone of her own as turns 1 at the end of the month.  She has the wonderful job of exploring the whole world.

Life is too short to ignore the blessing that children bring and the best part of having children is when they can give you grandchildren. Thank you H & W, M & M.  C & P we have much to look forward to.